Great Crested Newts: Declining protected species or pesky and costly distractions?
These intriguing animals are a contentious subject, and Dr Silviu Petrovan shares some of the latest news and research about the animals in this edition of Natterchat.
- You can find our more about Great Crested Newts (Triturus cristatus) in our amphibian and reptile section here.
- Our Great Crested Newt Revisited project studied sites in London that had previously had newts, and re-surveyed and undertook restoration work. You can find out more and read the project report here.
- Find out more about GCN and view distribution maps at the Natural England website here. Natural England are also the regulatory body for licensing, so get in touch with them and search their website for further information.
- Hampton Nature Reserve is home to Europe’s largest known Great Crested Newt population. Find out more about the Reserve here.
- The Great Crested Newt Conservation Handbook is the bible for all things GCN. Find the GCN Conservation Handbook online here